Parents and School working together
The Chillicothe City School District’s Parent Mentor Program is designed to be a support Network for parents of children with disabilities. The overall goal of the program is to help guide families through the special education process. This includes helping parents understand their rights and responsibilities, attend Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings, and provide information and resources to families and school personnel on education laws, district programs and services, and community resources. These services are provided free of charge to all parents who have a child with a disability and are enrolled in the Chillicothe City School District.
The Parent Mentor can:
- Help guide parents through the Special Education Process.
- Listen to and answer parents’ questions.
- Supply information on Special Education programs offered in the district.
- Link parents to support groups or other interested parents.
- Attend IEP and team meetings at the request of the parents.
- Publish and distribute a quarterly Parent Mentor newsletter
- Provide materials to assist parents and professionals.
- Provide community referral source information to parents.
- Act as a liaison between the parents and schools.
- Arrange informational seminars for both parents and professionals.
If you have a child with a disability in the Chillicothe City School District who is either currently receiving or, you feel, should be receiving Special Education services and you would like to request services from the Parent Mentor you can call 740-701-3835 or email your request information to firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also use regular postal mail by sending requests to Todd Tinker, 101 University Dr., Chillicothe, OH 45601.
Important Web Links to Special Education information:
- Whose Idea Is This? A Parent’s Guide to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 (IDEA). Includes updated corrections from 2008…. http://www.edresourcesohio.org/files/whose_idea_is_this.pdf
- The Parent Mentors of Ohio website… http://thelinkto.org/parentmentor/
- The Ohio Coalition for the Education of Children with Disabilitieswebsite…. http://www.ocecd.org
- The Ohio Department of Education website… http://www.education.ohio.gov