Meet Our K-6 VLA Staff
CCSD Staff 2 - 9/28/2020 1:16:00 PM
The K-6 Virtual Learning Academy (VLA) staff have been working hard to make the transition to online learning as easy as possible for the students and families who have chosen virtual learning this year. Meet the team responsible for making sure your student is learning and being challenged online while still having fun!
- Kris Wiseman and Tammy Morrissey are teaching VLA kindergarten this year. Kris is enjoying the new experience of online teaching and creating ways to make his lessons engaging and fun for his students. He’s also having fun teaching with Ms. Morrissey. Tammy can’t wait to see her kindergartners bloom into young readers and continue to collaborate with her team teachers. She sees this as a great opportunity to learn new ways to educate and learn.
- First Grade
- VLA first-grade teachers Deanne Davis and Christie Thomas love learning and are excited to learn along side their students this year, especially about using technology to teach. Christie, who normally teaches kindergarten, is looking forward to the adventure of teaching first graders for the first time.
- Second Grade
- Mary Ann Robertson and Ed Warner, our virtual learning second-grade teachers, can’t wait to provide an enriching online learning experience for the families who have chosen the VLA program. Mary Ann appreciates the tremendous opportunity to grow professionally as she guides families through mentoring their children at home.
- Third Grade
- Third-grade teachers Pam Blakey and Maisie Hurless are ready to tackle the school year. Pam loves learning how to best collaborate with students, parents and other teachers to create a positive, fun and safe learning environment. Maisie is looking forward to developing relationships with her students and watching them grow. While being online and out of the typical school routine may be challenging for students, she is working hard to ensure each student feels included, important and comfortable in this new learning environment.
- Fourth Grade
- Brenda Southworth and Lisa Bennett are the teachers for fourth-grade online learning. Brenda is looking forward to the challenge of teaching virtually. She can’t wait to help her students learn and build a sense of community, while having fun along the way. She believes that people need to love what they’re doing in order to get the most out of it, and virtual learning is no different. Lisa is enjoying collaborating with the other amazing VLA staff and working with VLA families.
- Fifth Grade
- Fifth-grade VLA teachers Renee Coffland and Marilynn Greer are excited to navigate this new way of teaching. Even though it’s been a big change, Renee loves online learning. She’s looking forward to providing the best online education for her students as they strive for a safe, healthy and successful school year. Marilynn has enjoyed exploring new ways to communicate and engage students while teaching VLA.
- Sixth Grade
- Deborah Pentecost and Angela Francis are teaching sixth-grade VLA. Deborah is looking forward to finding ways to spark students' interest in learning and building a sense of community while teaching virtually. She’s looking forward to the fun challenge of incorporating STEM into her VLA lessons. Angela is really excited to push herself to learn new ways of utilizing technology to teach and to step out of her comfort zone of how she has taught in previous years.
- Intervention Specialist
- Jennifer Hayburn is enjoying working with students in this different format and learning how to best support students in new and innovative ways.
- Kim Ragland, Rose Hambick and Jaci McAllister are the aides for our VLA program. While this year is like none other, Kim is excited to work with the students in this new format and help ensure they have a great experience learning from home. Rose can’t wait to help teachers streamline this new way of teaching, while Jaci is looking forward to learning how to best support the VLA teachers so they can give students the best virtual learning experience possible.
If you have any questions about your student’s VLA experience, please contact their teacher or student wellness and online learning coordinator, Sarah Hawthorne, at firstname.lastname@example.org.