CCSD Holiday Performances Free and Open to All
CCSD Staff 2 - 11/26/2019 1:30:00 PM
To celebrate the holiday season, the CCSD Music Department is offering a wide array of performances spreading joy and cheer to all (see concert schedule below). Family, friends and community members are encouraged to attend these festive events that are sure to put you in the holiday spirit.
Music students are excited to share what they’ve been working hard to perfect over the last few months. Many of the compositions are holiday favorites, but there are non-traditional pieces as well. For example, the district’s wind ensemble will be performing a version of “O, Holy Night” that has an African rhythm twist, and many of the choral groups will sing songs in other languages and from other cultures.
“I like to sing Christmas songs in choir because when we all sing together, it feels like everyone puts away their problems,” said Caleb Barfield, high school concert choir member. “We’re united by all of us singing the same messages about a holiday we love.”
The high school choir will feature a semi-professional adult choir, The Renaissance Singers, as special guests during their concert. The Renaissance Singers will perform as part of the choir’s Cookie Walk fundraiser on December 10, and the high school’s symphonic choir will perform a piece called “Born on a New Day” at The Renaissance Singers’ holiday concert on December 19.
Spreading positivity through music during the holiday season has already begun in the community. Earlier this month, high school music groups performed at Chillicothe’s Downtown Open House to celebrate the beginning of the holiday shopping season. They caroled on the courthouse steps and played instrumental music in local coffee shops.
“When singing in choir, I feel supported by the community and my peers,” said Murielle Ngalle, high school concert choir member. “Every time we sing a chord in a Christmas song, it feels like Christmas morning. It makes me so happy that I can’t help but smile, and I know it makes the audience feel the same way!”
See below for the full list of holiday concerts. We hope you can join us!
- CHS Sound FX at VA Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony, Building #9, VA Hospital, 11 a.m.
- CMS Orchestra Concert at CMS/CHS Auditorium, 7 p.m.
- CHS Symphonic Choir at The Renaissance Singers Christmas Concert, St. Mary’s Church, 2 p.m., (Free admission with donations encouraged)
- CMS Choral Concert at CMS/CHS Auditorium, 5 p.m.
- CHS Choral Cookie Walk Fundraiser at CMS/CHS Cafeteria, 5:30 p.m., (All baked goods are $1 per bag)
- CHS Choral Concert, All Holiday Roads Lead to Home, CMS/CHS auditorium, 7 p.m.
- CIS Band Concert, CIS Cafetorium, 7 p.m.
- CHS Orchestra Concert, CMS/CHS Auditorium 7 p.m.
- CPS Second Grade Group A Concert, CPS Cafetorium, 5:30 p.m.
- CPS Second Grade Group B Concert, CPS Cafetorium, 6:30 p.m.
- CMS/CHS Band Concert, CMS/CHS Auditorium, 7 p.m.
- CHS Symphonic Choir, Caroling Tour of local schools, All Day, (also visiting Signature Healthcare)